Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Be consoled...

Today's gospel is Matthew 2:13-18

Then was fulfilled what had been spoken through the prophet Jeremiah: "A voice was heard in Ramah, wailing and loud lamentation, Rachel weeping for her children; she refused to be consoled, because they are no more."

What are you saying to me, Lord? When I hear those words, "She refused to be consoled, because they are no more", I am very aware that many mothers and fathers can relate to this Scripture. I would think especially those who have had their child's life ended prematurely. I pray for those who weep this day-- for those whose hearts are broken and nothing can comfort. I pray for mothers and fathers who watch helplessly as their infant fades in their arms because they have no food. Their hunger pains are mute and life fades quickly. I weep for so many children without a future. I lament the children who are living in the midst of war.

God you hear our wailing and lamenting. You hear our crys. I know You weep and lament with us. Grant us the gift of peace that only you can give. Show us how to trust in your protection and give us a clarity of vision to attempt comforting those who cannot be consoled.

No comments:

Post a Comment