Thursday, July 28, 2011

NO BOOK NEEDED





On a recent trip to the Canadian Rockies, I didn't take a prayer book...didn't need one! In Celtic spirituality they talk of "thin places"--places where the spiritual world is closest or most accessible to our everyday one. Mountains are "thin places" for me; if Meister Eckhart is right when he says that "every creature is a word of God, or a book about God" then I can't even imagine how many volumes (how many whole libraries!) a mountain would represent.



I was doing a guided meditation once, when my director placed me on a mountaintop overlooking a lovely valley and a big city. I was directed to go down into the city and look for God. Mentally walking around the city, I began feeling guilty because I "knew" I was supposed to find God in the people I met, but that time at least, it was not happening the way I thought it was supposed to. I knew I was not going to "pass" this test!



Then I looked back over my shoulder, at the mountain, and realized that for me God had been there all along. God is wherever we are--but especially on a mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment