Monday, December 12, 2011

These are the words of Juan Diego,  whose feastday we recall today. "I am a nobody. I am a small rope, a tiny ladder, the tail end, a leaf..."  Juan's words provide for me much to aspire toward in my faith. Juan is a wonderful mentor for my life in the virtue of humility.  His faith response to our Lady, the Virgin Mary's request, " I vividly desire that a church be built on this site, so that in it I can be present and give my love, compassion, help, and defense, for I am your most devoted mother . . . I hear your laments and desire to come to your aid to remedy all your miseries, pains, and sufferings.”  In his simple faith, he acted. A willing and humbly servant, Juan Diego was a vessel. A church was built on the site where our Lady appeared and thousands converted to Christianity.

How I long for the humility and deep faith that I recognize in Juan Diego.  His response mirrors the Lady's own YES. Young, humble, faith-filled, willing to embrace a call whose source was truly divine.  The response of both has ignited a deeper faith in many through the years.  The enthusiasm of this feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is so appropriate during this Gaudette-Rejoice week of Advent.  I seek to be a more humble, joyous, and willing vessel of welcome to all.   Juan Diego intercede for me this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment